NEOCON EAST 2015 A RESOUNDING SUCCESS
A Banner First Year in Philadelphia
NeoCon East 2015 received rave reviews in its inaugural year in Philadelphia. After twelve years in Baltimore, the move north was very well received. Attendance was up 15% from the previous year with industry professionals from the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast and NYC regions flocking to the Pennsylvania Convention Center to see the 250+ leading companies and ready to spec products, as well as access timely programming and educational offerings. Many visitors also took advantage of the co-location with the AIA Philadelphia Design on the Delaware conference and IIDA PA/NJ/DE Product Parade event.
Susan McCullough, Senior Vice President, The Mart, remarks, “This was truly a milestone show for Neocon East. It was our first year in a new city and it far exceeded our expectations. The exhibitors brought their best to the show floor. From technologies that improve commercial spaces and contribute to the well-being of those who experience them, to products that go beyond the industry standard and spark a whole new design dialogue, there was a lot to see and specify. The focus on innovation and forward thinking design carried through into the keynotes, special presentations and educational sessions, which were buzzed about on the show floor. Our regional partnerships with AIA and IIDA made this year’s edition even more impactful.”
Despite on and off again rain, the aisles were full and lively starting at show open on Wednesday, which kicked off with a captivating keynote by HOK Atlanta lead designers Todd Bertsch and Betsy Nurse. The duo spoke about their work on the striking new Porsche Cars headquarters and shared their thoughts and experience leading clients to provocative, meaningful and elegant solutions. The first day schedule also included a special presentation by recently and unanimously confirmed US General Services Administrator Denise Turner Roth, who provided powerful insider insight into the industry from the government perspective. Day one of NeoCon East was rounded out by an Opening Night Block Party, which featured IIDA PA/NJ/DE Chapter’s 14th Annual Philadelphia Product Parade. Across the show floor, attendees enjoyed local Philadelphia favorites like Philly cheesesteaks, Tastykakes, Rita’s Water Ice and Yuengling Beer.
On day two of the show keynote speaker Jake Barton, Principal and Founder of Local Projects, an award-winning media design firm for museums and public spaces took the stage. Recognized as a leader in the field of interaction design for physical spaces, and in the creation of collaborative storytelling projects where participants generate content, Barton delivered a poignant presentation that focused on the algorithms at the heart of the September 11th memorial. Over the course of the show, the co-located AIA Philadelphia Design on the Delaware’s program offered 30 programs, three general sessions, and 15 tours that were open to all NeoCon East attendees.
Showgoers and exhibitors alike shared their thoughts on the show’s new location and success:
· “Philadelphia was a great meeting place for the show. It was very convenient for our team to come up from DC and meet with our government colleagues from New York and Philadelphia. With the current mandate to smart-size office spaces, NeoCon East offered a great way to connect with vendors and clients as we plan our reduced office footprints. In addition, the seminar offerings were especially relevant and timely for both end users, space planners and project managers.”
-Elaine Pogell, Project Manager for U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- “ASID is proud to partner with NeoCon East and to encourage our members to attend the show to gain a fresh perspective on new products and latest industry developments. There is a great alignment between ASID and NeoCon East across a full spectrum of vertical markets including workplace, healthcare, education, public space, hospitality, retail, and government. ASID is especially proud to provide and support student programming at NeoCon East. We enjoyed great interest and attendance at our Student Roadmap and Career Exchange events, introducing the next generation of designers and emerging professionals to one of largest commercially focused trade shows on the east coast.”
-Olga Odeide, Director, Strategic Partnerships and Sales, ASID.
- “I was impressed by the educational offerings at NeoCon East. The sessions provided significant content that I can utilize to advance my firm's business.”
-Nicole M. Dress, AIA, LEED AP, Principal at BLTA
- “Working as commercial interior designers, we feel it’s important to stay up-to-date regarding new materials and furniture. We thought NeoCon East was a great way to see and learn about countless new interiors products all in one place. We are partial because our firm is based out of Philadelphia, but we very much enjoyed the show being here this year.”
-Shauna Capen, NCIDQ, EwingCole
- “Bentley had another amazing year exhibiting at Neocon East. The energy around the show in Philly was incredible and the traffic to the booth was definitely up.”
-Noelle Novak, Director of Events and Marketing Operations, Bentley
- “This year’s NeoCon East was by far the best ever. Besides a fantastic new venue, the Mart team did a phenomenal job in accommodating all of our needs, including the ones that always seem to pop up. The show also provided quality visitors with real projects.”
-Rob Lazarus, Executive Vice President, AIS
- “Nemo Tile has been exhibiting at NeoCon East for several years, but we were particularly pleased with the turnout this year. Philadelphia is a fantastic city with a strong design presence, so the show offered us a great opportunity to meet and connect with the A&D community surrounding our newest showroom in Philly.”
-Kate Flanagan, Marketing Director, Nemo Tile
- “Kimball Office had a great show at Neocon East and we were pleased with the number of attendees who visited our space. The venue supported the event well and we look forward to participating in the show again next year.”
-Becky Schneider, Marketing Communications Manager, Kimball Office
· “NeoCon East provides a great opportunity for us to showcase our product solutions while making valuable connections. We were able to connect with design professionals, government agencies, and our dealers. Today’s workplace is constantly changing, and NeoCon East allows us the opportunity to introduce new products that show our ability to adapt to the ever-changing market.”
-Abby Troutman, Marketing Communications Specialist, National Office Furniture
· “The evolving model of workplace design involves the manufacturer, designer, and client working together to create the best setting for the business and their employees. NeoCon East gave us an opportunity to establish these connections and continue to grow our understanding of where the contract industry is heading. During the show we met individually with hundreds of attendees, sharing with them everything from how a work surface shape can promote collaboration, to the visual appeal of hidden storage, and furnishings that support technology and help move information around the office landscape.”
-Joseph White, Director of Workplace Strategy, Herman Miller
· “Neocon East was terrific - strong attendance, we were so pleased to see so many architects, designers and clients attend the show. We were thrilled to sponsor the keynotes, who were very inspiring in their presentations and attracted a great crowd!”
-Mary Ellen Magee, Director of Marketing, Teknion